REGULAR MEETING ADRIAN BOARD OF EDUCATION, AUGUST 27, 2012
Vice Chair Brake called the regular meeting of the Adrian Board of Education to order at 7:00 P.M. on August 27, 2012. Members present Brake, Kunkel, Lenz, Tweet, and Wolf. Also present Superintendent Graff, principal Christensen, also present Dave Vortherms, Joyce McCarthy, Jason Olson, and Britney Fransen.
Members Lonneman and Lynn were absent.
Motion by Tweet, second by Wolf, to add items E & F to the Superintendent’s report and to approve agenda items, motion carried.
Motion by Wolf, second by Kunkel, to approve the minutes from the July 23 meeting, with a correction to Lenz attendance, motion carried.
Motion by Lenz to approve the claims and accounts for the month of July, second by Tweet, motion carried.
Dave Vortherms presented his custodial report.
• Fuel barrels are full with a summer fill
• New computer at the Elementary for the building controls has been installed.
• Hired a new evening custodian.
Superintendent Graff presented the July reports. Motion by Wolf, second by Tweet to approve the account balances for July, motion carried.
Mr. Graff presented the Elementary Principal’s report.
• Presented the hiring of three paraprofessionals, motion by Tweet, second by Wolf to approve hiring, motion carried.
• Presented class enrollment numbers.
•Mr. Christensen presented his Middle/High School Principal’s report
• Presented class enrollment numbers
• Announced that a Head Volleyball Coach, Cheryl Fey and Assistant Coach Allison Eitreim have been hired for the 2012 season. These were preapproved at the July meeting.
• Presented a second request from D Wedeking to resign the position as assistant volleyball coach, motion by Wolf, second by Lenz to accept resignation, motion carried.
Mr. Graff presented his Superintendent’s report:
• Presented a teacher’s contract for Jessica Anderson as an Elementary Special Education teacher, motion by Lenz second by Kunkel to approve agreement, motion carried.
• Presented a request to tenure staff member Lynn Jasper. Motion by Wolf, second by Lenz to approve request, motion carried.
• Discussed concerns with the hours of service and liability issues for our school nurse. Requested that we contract our nurse services with Avera Health, motion by Tweet to approve the contract second by Lenz, motion carried.
• Presented a Technology update, inquiring if the district wished to purchase services from the Service Cooperative for Staff Development IPad training for two days per month, motion by Wolf, second by Tweet to purchase this service, motion carried.
• Presented an employee at will contract for David Roemen as a part time Technology Coordinator.
Motion by Lenz second by Wolf to approve contract, motion carried.
• Presented a non-certified employee hiring for the evening custodian at the Elementary. Motion by Lenz, second by Tweet to approve hiring, motion carried.
• Miss Sarah Jensen spoke in regards to the Elementary Music program. Presenting information on the Orff Method of Music. Requesting purchasing Orff instruments for the elementary to use for instruction. Motion by Wolf, second by Kunkel to approve request, motion carried.
Motion by Tweet, second by Lenz to adjourn the August meeting of the Adrian Board of Education at 8:15 P.M., motion carried.