REGULAR MEETING ADRIAN BOARD OF EDUCTION,
OCTOBER 15, 2012
Chairman Lonneman called the regular meeting of the Adrian Board of Education to order at 5:30 P.M. on October 15, 2012. Members present Brake, Kunkel, Lenz, Lonneman, Lynn, and Wolf. Also present Superintendent Graff, principals Christensen and Lofthus, also present D Vortherms, L Varley, and community member Britney Fransen.
Member Tweet was absent.
Motion by Brake to appoint Lenz as Board Clerk in Tweet’s absence, second by Lynn, motion carried.
Motion by Wolf, second by Brake, to add items F & G to the Superintendent’s report and to approve agenda items, motion carried.
Motion by Lenz, second by Kunkel to approve the minutes of the September meeting, motion carried.
Motion by Lenz to approve the claims and accounts for the month of September, second by Lynn, motion carried.
Dave Vortherms presented his custodial report.
• Had two vendors come in to obtain quotes for the two compressors at the Elementary School.
They have determined that the compressors were not bad, and that it was the switch.
• Presented quotes for Luverne Farm Store, Leenderts Lawn Care and Batchellers Ever-Green in regards to spraying the district grounds for weeds and spreading fertilizer. After discussion Dave will apply fertilizer this fall, and discuss the spraying issue in March.
Superintendent Graff presented the September 30, 2012 reports, motion by Brake, second by Wolf to approve the account balances for the month of September, motion carried.
Mr. Lofthus presented his Elementary Principal’s report.
• Announced that he had a donation for $4000 from the Blue and Gold PTO, motion by Wolf, second by Kunkel to accept donation, motion carried.
• Announced that he has received a request for a student teacher from Augustana College, motion by Kunkel second by Lynn to approve request, motion carried.
• Gave a fall testing update.
Mr. Christensen presented his Middle/High School Principal’s report
• Announced that the cross-country meet went well.
• IPad training continues.
• Requested to hold a performance of the fall school play on Sunday, November 11. Motion by Brake, second by Lenz to approve request, motion carried.
• Requested to allow the choir to sing at the Lighting of the Hospice Tree on December 9. Motion by Kunkel, second by Lynn to approve request, motion carried.
Mr. Graff presented his Superintendent’s report:
• Presented the Assurance of Compliance – Prohibiting Discrimination, motion by Wolf second by Lenz to approve, motion carried.
• Presented a lane change request for Jason Olson from BA to BA +10, motion by Lynn, second by Wolf to approve lane change request, motion carried.
• Presented an $80 donation from Avera Health - Worthington, to be use toward our athletic programs, motion by Brake, second by Kunkel to accept donation, motion carried.
• Presented information in regards to the bus routes and to the addition of adding a bus to Worthington.
• Announced that a special board meeting will need to be held to canvass the November 6 election.
Motion by Wolf, second by Lynn to set the special meeting for Wednesday, November 14 at 12:30 PM in the District Office, motion carried.
• Gave a technology update. Our main server is very outdated and it will need to be replaced.
Getting a quote from the Service Cooperative. Announced that we will be going to a gmail web based email system.
• Gave an update on the Flexible Learning Year (FLY) calendar and the renewal process.
Motion by Brake, second by Wolf to adjourn the October meeting of the Adrian Board of Education at 6:18 P.M., motion carried.