ADRIAN BOARD OF EDUCATION REGULAR MEETING,
DECEMBER 13, 2012
Chairman Mark Lonneman called the regular meeting of the Adrian Board of Education to order at 6:01 P.M. on December 13, 2012. Members present Brake, Lenz, Lonneman, Lynn, Tweet and Wolf. Also present Superintendent Graff, principals Christensen and Lofthus, staff member present
Dave Vortherms, newly elected member Bullerman and David Friedrichsen representing Meulebroeck, Taubert & Co, PLLP.
Member Kunkel was absent.
Motion by Wolf, second by Tweet, to approve agenda items, motion carried.
Dave Friedrichsen representing Meulebroeck, Taubert & Co., PLLP presented and reviewed the year ending June 30, 2012 audit. Motion by Lenz, second by Lynn to approve the audit as presented, motion carried.
Mr. Graff presented and reviewed the Truth in Taxation and how school district tax levy is determined. Motion by Wolf, second by Brake to certify the 2012 tax levy payable in 2013 motion carried.
Motion by Lynn, second by Wolf to approve the minutes of the November 19th meeting, motion carried.
Motion by Brake to approve the claims and accounts for the month of November, second by Tweet, motion carried.
Dave Vortherms presented his custodial report.
• A heat pump is out at the high school and will need a new compressor. This will be repaired over the Christmas break.
• Recommended selling the 99 Pontiac Van. Motion by Lynn second by Lenz to sell the van as surplus property, motion carried.
• Discussed the gas tanks in the welding shop area, the district does not own them due to the number of tanks and because the district is a public entity and the rules and regulations associated with owning them.
Superintendent Graff presented the following November 30, 2012 reports. Motion by Lenz, second by Wolf to approve the account balances, motion carried.
Mr. Lofthus presented his Elementary Principal’s report.
Mr. Christensen presented his Middle/High School Principal’s report
• Requested approval for volunteer coaches for wrestling and for girls basketball, motion by Lynn, second by Wolf to approve, motion carried.
• Request approval for over night travel for the Wrestling Team to attend the Rumble on the Red in Fargo, ND. Motion by Lenz, second by Tweet to approve request, motion carried.
• Discussed the Salutatorian and Valedictorian policy that was brought to the board at the November meeting. After discussion the board agreed 4 to 2 to continue with the Top 5 Honors as set in the policy.
• Discussed a red tassel for recognition in donating blood to the Red Cross. It was decided that this would better fit at the student awards presentation.
• The topic of presenting student scholarships at graduation was brought forth. This was tabled for the January meeting.
Mr. Graff presented his Superintendent’s report:
• Reviewed the flexible learning year public meetings that were held. Discussed the lack of attendance. Mr. Graff will put together an article for the local paper to help inform the public about a flexible learning year calendar and an early start date.
• Reminded the board that the January meeting date will be January 28 due to Martin Luther King Day, and February meeting date will be February 25 due to President’s Day and no meetings are to be held on those dates.
• Recognized and thanked our board members, J Brake and B Lynn, who will be leaving the Board of Education.
Motion by Brake, second by Lynn to adjourn the December meeting of the Adrian Board of Education at 7:32 P.M. motion carried.