REGULAR MEETING ADRIAN BOARD OF EDUCATION,
MARCH 18, 2013
Board Chair Mark Lonneman called the regular meeting of the Adrian Board of Education to order at 6:00 P.M. on March 18, 2013. Members present Bullerman, Kruger, Kunkel, Lenz, Lonneman, Tweet and Wolf. Also present Superintendent Graff, principals Christensen and Lofthus and staff members S Bullerman and D Vortherms.
Motion by Kunkel, second by Tweet to approve agenda items adding item D to the superintendent’s report, motion carried.
Motion by Wolf, second by Kruger to approve the minutes from the February meeting, motion carried.
Motion by Wolf to approve the claims and accounts for the month of February, second by Lenz, motion carried.
Dave Vortherms presented the custodial report.
• Presented a request to purchase a tank of heating fuel oil, board gave verbal consent to purchase.
• Presented information on garage door openers with the electronic eye that would open the door if someone walked under the door while closing. Presented quotes from Veld Lumber and Voss Lumber. Motion by Wolf to accept quote from Veld Lumber, second by Bullerman, motion carried.
• Presented information for the re-pavement of the west parking lot at the Elementary school. Board advised to advertise for quotes.
• Presented information in regards to fertilization and spraying of the school lawns, football and practice fields. Received quoted from Leenderts Lawn Care, Hills, MN; Batcheller’s Ever-Green,
Worthington, MN; Luverne Farm Store, Luverne, MN. Motion by Wolf to accept the lowest quote from Batcheller’s, second by Tweet, motion carried.
• Presented information on the school vans. The Dodge 2003 has approximately 190,000 miles, the Dodge 2005 has approximately 112,000 miles, the Kia 2009 has approximately 80,000 miles.
The 1999 Montana Van has approximately 265,000 miles and received one offer for it. Requested the board to consider purchasing another van. Board gave permission to Mr. Graff to begin the search for a new van and to purchase if a deal can be made.
Superintendent Graff presented the February reports, motion by Kruger, second by Tweet to approve the account balances for the month of February, motion carried.
Mr. Lofthus and Mr. Christensen presented a joint principal’s report.
• Presenting information on the District’s testing and the vendor we currently use and requested that the district return to use the services of the Northwest Evaluation Association (NWEA). We are currently using their products in Study Island and Plato. Motion by Lenz, second by Kruger to change vendors, motion carried.
• Presented information on our current student information system (JMC) and a new vendor Infinite Campus. Requested permission to switch to Infinite Campus, motion by Kunkel, second by Tweet to switch vendors, motion carried.
• Presented issues currently experiencing with our email server and the possible of purchasing our own domain.
• Presented resignation from C Van Briesen as junior high baseball coach effective the 2012-2013 season. Motion by Lenz, second by Bullerman to accept resignation, motion carried.
• Presented resignation from L Fransen as a paraprofessional and cheerleading advisor. Motion by Kruger, second by Tweet to accept resignation, motion carried.
• Presented a request to appoint T Johnson as junior high boys baseball coach. Motion by Lenz, second by Wolf to approve request, motion carried.
• Presented the hiring of B Niebuhr as an elementary paraprofessional. Motion by Kruger, second by Lenz to approve hiring, motion carried.
Mr. Graff presented his Superintendent’s report:
• Announced that the Flexible Learning Year (FLY) calendar has been approved for the next three school years.
• Presented a legislative update with no new issues.
• Mark Lonneman presented information regarding a portable scoreboard that could be used by Community Education, junior high football, practice football field and softball. Motion by Kunkel, second by Lenz to approve purchase, motion carried.
Motion by Kunkel, second by Bullerman to adjourn the March meeting of the Adrian Board of Education at 7:22 P.M., motion carried.